Called to the Bar in 2000
Ian is a very efficient practitioner and provides an excellent level of service to lay, professional and direct access clients alike. A specialist family lawyer, he has established himself as a robust advocate in court and a proficient exponent of written advocacy. Ian has substantial experience of trial and appellate advocacy, and offers sensible, realistic and practical advice. Ian moved with his family to Cambridge in 2014 and joined Fenners Chambers after building a successful practice in Southampton.
Ian was appointed as a Recorder in September 2019 and sits in the family courts on the South Eastern Circuit. Ian hears cases in public and private children and financial remedies
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Family Law
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Care and Adoption (Care Proceedings): care, supervision, placement, adoption work for local authorities, guardians, parents, hospital trusts and third parties.
- Private Law: Child Arrangement Orders disputes for parents, step-parents, family members, intervenors and Rule 16.4 guardians.
International Law: Hague Convention, Brussels IIR, Wardship and issues of jurisdiction.
- Injunctions: Family Law Act and Forced Marriage Protection Orders.
- Family Finance: ancillary relief and Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989.
Recorder in Family Court and Financial Remedy Court - 2019
For a more detailed guide to Ian’s work, please go to his specific Family Law profile.
Ian accepts legal aid and private instructions from solicitors. His Court of Protection clients include public bodies and the Official Solicitor. He is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public under the Public Access scheme and from professional clients under the Licensed Access scheme. Ian is able to accept instructions at very short notice and often works to very tight deadlines. Ian is regularly instructed by solicitors with a heavy caseload who require the most prompt and efficient counsel.
Ian is an experienced family lawyer. Ian joined Fenners Chambers after practising on the Western Circuit for 12 years where he built up a considerable and diverse practice. He regularly represents local authorities, guardians, parents and third parties in a wide variety of public and private law cases.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Care and Adoption (Care Proceedings): all types of hearing in the Family Court (Magistrates and County Courts) and the High Court. Ian often represents difficult and vulnerable clients and parties from different jurisdictions. Ian has appeared in the High Court in numerous cases of importance and has experience of cases involving serious non-accidental injury (NAI), sexual abuse and child trafficking;
- Private Law: all matters under the Children Act 1989 including cases where there has been a guardian instructed or there are third party intervenors. Ian has been instructed in a number of complex and challenging cases, and has been reported. Ian is an experienced appellate advocate;
- International Law: Ian’s practice includes complex international law cases. An experienced High Court advocate, his cases include child abduction matters under the Hague Convention, Brussels IIR, Wardship and matters of jurisdiction;
- Injunctions: Ian has considerable experience of Family Law Act cases and Forced Marriage work;
- Finance: Ian undertakes a wide range of finance work including financial order applications (ancillary relief), TOLATA and Schedule 1 Children Act cases..
Ian accepts legal aid and private instructions from solicitors. He is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public under the Public Access scheme and from professional clients under the Licensed Access scheme. Ian is able to accept instructions at very short notice and often works to very tight deadlines. Ian is regularly instructed by solicitors with a heavy caseload who require the most prompt and efficient counsel. Ian is happy to travel and continues to receive instructions in London and on the Western Circuit.
Recorder in Family Courts and Financial Remedy Court – 2019
Re W (Children)  EWCA Civ 1307
LLB: Aberystwyth LLM: Cardiff
- Family Law Bar Association